Amherst is looking for a driven Accounting Intern with a basic understanding of GAAP and financial principles and terms who is ready for an immersive, real-world experience. Under the supervision of our staff, the Accounting Intern can expect to participate in the preparation of journal entries and financial reports, analyze actual financial data, learn more about accounting fundamentals, and assist with other accounting activities. You should be a motivated team player who can maintain efficiency and accuracy when multitasking.
Internship Program Outline:
The Amherst Residential Internship will be an immersive summer program where students will gain real-world accounting experience in corporate accounting functions and operations. You will work alongside highly-experienced accounting resources who will mentor and train you in a variety of accounting fundamentals including financial statements, general ledger, debits/credits, invoices, reconciliation, FP&A and GAAP principles.
To be a strong candidate for an Accounting Internship, you should possess an understanding of accounting and financial principles and a positive attitude. You should be collaborative, trustworthy, receptive to feedback, and eager to learn.
Due to the current pandemic, duration and location are still being determined.
Accounting Intern Responsibilities:
- Shadowing members of the Accounting department as they perform their duties.
- Assisting with research, filing, data entry, and recording and maintaining accurate and complete financial records.
- Preparing financial reports, such as balance sheets, account reconciliation, income statements, invoices, and other documents.
- Assist with month-end close activities and reporting processes
- Handling sensitive or confidential information with honesty and integrity.
- Learning how to work as part of the Accounting team to compile and analyze data, track information, and support the company or clients.
- Taking on additional tasks or projects to learn more about accounting and office operations.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s in Accounting.
- Satisfactory completion of introductory accounting courses and a basic understanding of accounting and financial principles.
- GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Have an inherent interest in Finance/Accounting and great business acumen
- Advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of efficiency, accuracy, attention to detail and responsibility.
- Motivation and strong desire to take on new challenges and learn as much as possible.
Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s in Accounting.
Satisfactory completion of introductory accounting courses and a basic understanding of accounting and financial principles.
GPA of 3.25 or higher.
Have an inherent interest in Finance/Accounting and great business acumen
Advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint skills
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
High level of efficiency, accuracy, attention to detail and responsibility.
Motivation and strong desire to take on new challenges and learn as much as possible.