Calpine Corporation is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Our fleet of 80 power plants in operation and under construction represents approximately 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and our retail businesses, we serve customers in 25 states, Canada and Mexico. Our clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
Our company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, our renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth’s surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Description of the Role:
- Calpine’s rotation development program consists of three rotations of approximately eight months each (for a total of two years).
- Rotation assignments span a variety of commercial and financial departments, including commercial analytics, retail, risk management, trading, corporate finance, customer origination, and development.
- In all rotations, participants are expected to make material contributions to the success of the company by analyzing problems, building models, making recommendations, and/or participating directly in discussions on topics that have a significant impact on the financial performance of the company. Recent examples of contributions include:
- Negotiating and executing commercial agreements supporting potential new plant development
- Real-time trading support and execution
- Analyzing gas and power markets in support of development opportunities
- Analyzing the impact of pending air emissions legislation in support of the company’s regulatory advocacy efforts
- Surveillance of industry technology improvements and assessment of opportunities and threats
- Membership in the rotation program also provides access to a variety of training opportunities including monthly luncheons with senior members of the Calpine team.
Relevant Skills and Experience:
- Displays strong analytical aptitude; experience with analytical tools such as programming languages or statistical software is a plus
- Strong model-building skills (including Excel skills).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills (including familiarity with PowerPoint).
- Should be able to work autonomously and accept responsibility; able to excel under the pressure of multiple deadlines.
- Team player who is used to diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools
- Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically the independent power or utility sector, is a plus.
• Master’s degree in quantitative/analytical fields such as business (MBA), mathematics, computational science, engineering, physics, economics, finance, or accounting is required.
• A minimum of 3 to 5 years of work experience in a related field is preferred.
• A minimum of a 3.3 GPA is required. Must be authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
To be considered for this role, please apply using the provided link:
https://rn11.ultipro.com/CAL1005/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=3444&__jbsrc=How to Apply