****This is a posting for the Direct Hire Authority for Post-Secondary Students and Recent Graduates. This posting is to gather applications which may or may not result in a referral or selection. Please read this posting in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
“The Department of Defense provides the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.”
This position is located Financial Management Directorate of the Washington Headquarters Services (https://www.whs.mil/Directorates/Financial-Management-Directorate-FMD/) or the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) (https://comptroller.defense.gov/). The organizations are responsible for executing the programs and budgets of the Department. The organizations also certify funds availability and perform budget execution review functions to effectively manage the allocated budget.
The purpose of the position is to serve as a Post-Secondary Student or Recent Graduate in the Washington Headquarters Services (WHS), Special Employment Programs. The WHS Special Employment Programs are planned, progressive educational programs that provide for the integration of a student’s academic studies and federal work experience with the potential of noncompetitive conversion into the federal career service. Work assignments are designed to permit the knowledge acquired through education/ training to be applied to particular work situations as set forth in the Participant Agreement and/or Individual Development Plan (IDP). The incumbent completes on-the-job training and/or self-development.
Full-time and part-time opportunities exist. Most positions begin as temporary / seasonal with the intent of growing top performing participants into permanent employees. Opportunities exist from unpaid to GS-7 pay, depending upon the specific opportunity and candidate.
The incumbent of this position serves as a financial administration analyst responsible for performing, administrative work of a fiscal, financial management, accounting or budgetary nature. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Obtaining, compiling, and summarizing narrative information and quantitative data for use by others within the office;
· Verifying the costs of line items in the budget and entering the costs in standard forms and schedules;
· Extracting budget and program data from computer printouts of accounting records, forms, and reports for use by co-workers; and
· Applying new theories, principles, practical concepts, processes, and systems related to financial programs.
Work consists of performing specific tasks designed to orient the employee in the practical application of theory and basic principles of financial management. Work requires actions based on factual differences. Factual differences may involve such matters as the type and kind of information needed on balance sheets, the consistency of various ledgers with original documents, and the portrayal of data in chart, table, or graph format. The employee shall apply basic theories and principles to carry out well-defined accounting, auditing, or examination administration practices.
Basic Conditions of Employment
· U.S. Citizenship is required
Must be determined suitable for federal employment
This position is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing
Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term “accounting” means “accounting and/or auditing” in this standard. Similarly, “accountant” should be interpreted, generally, as “accountant and/or auditor.”)
Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant’s background must also include one of the following:
· Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
· A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
· Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant’s education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
For more information regarding eligibility, conditions of employment, and requirements, please visit https://www.whs.mil/Directorates/Human-Resources-Directorate-HRD/Careers-with-WHS/Volunteer-Student-Internship-Program/ and https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/#url=Program-Fact-Sheets to rest of info regarding eligibility, conditions of employment, and requirements
How to Apply?
To apply for this position, you are required to submit the following documents prior to the last day of the application period. The following documents must be combined in one PDF file, in the order noted, below.
1. DoD Application Form
2. Current resume
3. Unofficial/official transcripts showing your current semester (or degree conferral date)
NOTE: You need only apply to one Handshake posting. Even if applying to multiple postings, as the DoD application form allows for up to three preferences. Incomplete or incorrect application packages and/or late submissions CANNOT be accepted.
Direct questions about this posting may be directed to the Program Coordinator at email@example.com.