Full Job Description
How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The North Region Site Director, in conjunction with Children’s Hospital Administration Senior Leadership, leads the administration, operations, strategic planning, and program development/implementation of pediatric medical and surgical services/programs of the North Region including the Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital/HUMC. The Director is accountable for achievement of organizational goals in growth, finance/cost efficiency, quality, engagement, patient satisfaction, academics and research. With matrix relationship with the Physician Services Division, supports and collaborates with leaders of the pediatric faculty practices in operations, quality assurance, growth and patient experience. The Director works with the Chair of Pediatrics/Physician in Chief in management of the Department of Pediatrics and in creating a nationally recognized children’s hospital. The Director, as needed, represents the Vice President, Children’s CTS, in matters related to JMSCH.
A day in the life of a Pediatrics Site Director, North Region at Hackensack Meridian Health is:
- Operations: Supports the administration, day-to-day operations, and program development of inpatient and outpatient Pediatric services across the assigned departments/units within the region.
- Strategic Planning: Supports/assists the CTS VP in the development, implementation and monitoring of strategic and capital plans for Pediatric CTS. Under the guidance of the CTS VP develops business plans to support projects, new business growth opportunities or programmatic changes, which incorporates competitive analysis, market trends, reimbursement/revenue evaluation consistent with Hackensack Meridian Health’s strategic goals. Supports the implementation of approved facility plans as outlined in the strategic plan and provides leadership through implementation.
- Executes the Pediatric CTS strategic plan across the region including planning and directing daily operating activities. Responsible for oversight of the site/campus specific pediatric leaders across the region.
- Integrates Pediatric CTS programs and services throughout the region to leverage business, lower costs and operational support to facilitate achievement of the pediatric strategic plan. Integral member of the Pediatric CTS Network Leadership Team responsible for executing and harmonizing best practices, pathways, protocols, equipment procurement, policies, and practices in addition to identifying technology, innovation and growth opportunities.
- Clinical and Academic Excellence: Works with departments and physicians to develop performance improvement plans for services provided. Monitors results and action plans, and initiates, leads and/or facilitates improvement activities required to reach/exceed established targets. Facilitates the implementation of evidence based protocols through coordination with physicians, nursing, therapy, and other related team members. Develops affiliation relationships to enhance the academic, research, and growth goals of the services. Leads services to achieve goals and objectives associated with research, academic, and teaching. Oversees JMSCH research division. Responsible for departmental and hospital compliance with all CMS, Joint Commission, DOH, ACGME and all applicable regulatory agencies standards.
- Strategic Planning and Program Oversight: Develops, implements, and monitors strategic and capital plans/budgets. Develops, gains approval, and implements program specific business plans, evaluating competition, market, potential revenue, costs, operational implications in a manner to ensure plans are consistent with HMH strategic goals. Coordinates with department leaders to develop and implement program plans. Leads the implementation through facilitation and coordination of processes within and across departments. Monitors, controls and is accountable for hospital performance through development of dashboards with relevant indicators including volume, profitability, outcomes, patient satisfaction, etc. Develops action plans to address variances.
- Operations: Develops and monitors operating and capital budgets for programs and services. Initiates, leads, and/or facilitates improvement activities to remove identified barriers for physician referrals, efficiency, productivity, revenue enhancement, and cost containment. Provides direct oversight for leaders and team members. Develops an engaged team.
- Physician Manpower and Engagement: Develops and maintains collaborative working relationships with community and hospital based physicians. Serves as liaison between physicians and administration. Ensures strategic plans and medical staff planning activities are implemented. Works with hospital/network administration to develop medical manpower plans. Leads the recruitment of qualified physicians in accordance with established plans. Works with hospital leadership to develop, negotiate, implement, monitor and execute physician contracts.
- Patient Satisfaction: Consistently develops, implements, and supports activities and/or projects that promote patient satisfaction within a patient center care framework to achieve best practice targets. Engages team in achievement of patient satisfaction goals.
- Marketing and Community Outreach: Works with marketing/public relations staff to develop and implement plans for promoting the services of JMSCH. Working with Corporate Communications, leads the development and implementation of community outreach plan in order to fulfill goals of service line and HMH’s mission. Oversees JMSCH community outreach team. Serves in leadership roles in other non-profit organizations that support the needs of the services.
- Philanthropy: Supports Foundations to secure funding through gifts and grants. Actively supports events and efforts to raise funds to support services. Networks with and cultivates prospective donors and speaks to individuals and groups about gifting opportunities. Seeks out grant opportunities and supports grant application process. Ensures compliance with grant requirements. Oversees fund allocations and ensures timely and appropriate use of funds.
- Coordinates activities and needs of the department and sections with ancillary and other related departments within HUMC.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH’s Organizational and Managerial competencies and standards of behavior.
- Lifts a minimum of 5 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 10 lbs. and stands a minimum of 2 hours a day.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in health related field
- Master’s degree in related field
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience in healthcare operations and service line management, with at least 5 years in a leadership role.
- Extensive budget experience.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, internally and externally.
- Exceptional communication skills and experience with engaging and building relationships with network leadership.
- Understanding of the business implications of moving from volume to value-based payment for care.
- Knowledge of health care and business metrics, benchmarks, economic engines and standards that drive and/or shape the industry.
- Ability to establish and measure various metrics to assess success of the service line.
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative, workable strategies and tactics to accomplish goals and objectives
- Strong leadership presence, relationship building skills and ability to influence, lead and direct individuals in multiple functional areas and across all levels of employees, management and community leaders
- Knowledge of care transformation principles.
- Demonstrated analytical ability to identify problems, develop solutions and execute in collaboration with other leaders or constituents.
- Ability to develop a high performing team and steering committee, articulate vision, create trust, drive the HMH culture and build consensus.
- Strong business acumen focusing on results.
- A market shaper and innovator within the HMH culture.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
- Masters degree in business/operations (MBA/MHA)
- Leadership experience in either children’s services.
- Multi-site/systems experience preferred
- Financial management: Encompass reimbursement methodology and strategies as well as evaluation of business plans and execution
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives