Marathon Petroleum Corp. (MPC) offers internship opportunities to high-performing college students who want meaningful hands-on experiences in their fields of study. The following core values guide MPC’s approach to doing business: health and safety; environmental stewardship; integrity; corporate citizenship; and diversity and inclusion. Interns work side by side with experienced professionals as contributing members of diverse work teams who create value for the company’s shareholders. MPC believes that how we conduct our business is just as important as the bottom line.
The Human Resources Consultant Intern primary role is to act as a strategic business partner and HR subject-matter consultant to the organization. HR interns are truly a part of the team with meaningful assignments and responsibilities throughout their experience. In most organizations you are as likely to be in the field environment getting to understand the work of hourly and salary individual contributors and dealing with issues.
As a strategic business partner you will have opportunities to interface with client groups on issues which may include performance management, employee and labor relations, compensation, recruiting, training and development activities, diversity initiatives, policy application and administration, program facilitation, data analysis, workforce/succession planning, and community relations. Interns may also be involved with short-term projects based on the current needs of the organization. The project may be team-oriented or individually driven to give the intern an opportunity to develop a finished product and presentation near the conclusion of the internship.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a graduate program for Human Resources or Labor & Industrial Relations
- Strong academic achievement required
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the US on a full-time indefinite basis without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
- A valid driver’s license is required
- Concurrent enrollment in a degree seeking program
- Military experience a plus
We hire for the following locations:
- Corporate: Findlay, OH
- Refineries: Anacortes, WA; Canton, OH; Catlettsburg, KY; Detroit, MI; Dickinson, ND; El Paso, TX; Garyville, LA; Kenai, AK; Los Angeles, CA; Mandan, ND; Robinson, IL; Salt Lake City, UT; St. Paul Park, MN; and Texas City, TX (Galveston Bay)
- Mid-stream: Various locations.
- Strong communication skills
- Team oriented
- Customer focused
- Time management skills
- Drive for results
- Business acumen
- Problem solving skills
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation is a leading, integrated, downstream energy company headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company operates the nation’s largest refining system with more than 3 million barrels per day of crude oil capacity across 16 refineries. Marathon Petroleum’s marketing system includes branded locations across the United States, including Marathon branded outlets. Speedway LLC, a Marathon Petroleum subsidiary, owns and operates retail convenience stores across the United States. MPC also owns the general partner and majority limited partner interest in MPLX LP, a midstream company which owns and operates gathering, processing, and fractionation assets, as well as crude oil and light product transportation and logistics infrastructure.
Travel Expected: Up to 25%