Posting Date Oct 26, 2020
Job Number 20062391
Job Category Finance and Accounting
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
As a member of the Finance Business Partner group for Information Technology (FBP iT), the Manager, Finance-Plan/Build will be part of a team that serves as the single finance business partner for select members of the Plan and Build leaders in Marriott’s iT team. This role provides critical support to delivering a holistic financial view of financial performance across initiatives and ongoing support expenses in an application or service portfolio.
The Manager, Finance coordinates with and supports select stakeholders (“assigned portfolio”), including members of other finance teams, iT leaders in Plan, Build, Run, and discipline teams. She/he provides financial evaluation of iT projects, business cases, programs and initiatives, cost and recovery objectives, long-range planning, and day-to-day oversight of the financial health of the assigned application and service portfolios.
- Partner with iT Plan and Build leaders to manage the financial performance of Marriott’s iT initiative portfolio, including strategic planning, budgeting, forecasting, procurement, financial reporting and analysis.
- Partner with iT Plan and Build to analyze and manage application support expenses, liaising with the appropriate finance partners over the infrastructure areas where appropriate and needed
- Support finance related activities for the development and implementation of new programs, services and initiatives in iT to include developing low to moderately complex activity-based cost models and recovery analyses and analyses of funding approaches that are in compliance with management and franchise agreements:
- Lead/support the development of business cases and/or develop fully documented, accurate cost and funding models for proposed projects.
- Help determine funding approaches/recommendations compliant with management and franchise agreements. Work with the business and/or other internal groups to provide financial support and analysis of proposed projects. Develop an understanding of business needs and long-term impacts of project decisions to highlight potential risk for management review.
- Where appropriate, prepare recommendations and presentations for senior leaders to present to Program & Services governances meetings
- Engage relevant Global Finance groups to operationalize new programs, services and initiatives (e.g., new department set up, development of supplemental budgets, etc.)
- Perform other analyses as required.
- Conduct return-on-investment analyses on iT’s initiatives ensuring the right financial approaches and resources are brought to bear. Analysis focuses on gathering and synthesizing current state data, understanding and modeling future state proposals, and developing presentations that compare data, highlight risks and focuses on qualitative and quantitative issues.
- Develop/enhance tools to provide analyses on Labor Rates. Provide recommendations to optimize performance and drive profitability.
- Minimum 5 years’ financial management experience in a global organization with increasing management responsibility including complex data analysis and financial modeling
- Exhibits strong functional leadership and finance knowledge; able to leverage this strength to influence business team strategies and decisions.
- Able to lead and manage multiple projects simultaneously; ability to translate business needs into operational financial management priorities.
- Able to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure. Comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
- Able to orchestrate systemic change – initiates, supports and manages change within the organization, taking steps to remove barriers or to accelerate its pace.
- Knowledge of generally accepted finance and accounting policies, principles and controls; as well as Marriott-specific accounting and finance processes and systems.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of MI business model and management and franchisee contracts.
- Operates with a collaborative mindset to ensure that key stakeholders are considered, eliminating the need for duplicate systems; builds strong relationships to leverage information and insights to anticipate and respond to project risks; communicates well with project and other leaders; openly shares and does not withhold information.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate creative solutions for complex business issues, mitigating risk and maximizing stakeholder satisfaction.
- Ability to sell ideas persuasively; settles differences and wins concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic.
- Strong leader of people – ability to create compelling vision, demonstrate flexibility in approach, and motivate others (to achieve desired results; ability to work in a matrix organization and make things happen without having to own all of the resources; leverages shared resources to achieve results.
- Strong interpersonal skills; must be a successful “networker” and able to maintain effective relationships, both internally and externally.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing; listens to others and effectively comprehends information; creates an environment allowing timely information flows throughout the organization.
- Responsive; ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Results oriented; delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure. Ability to assess, plan and get “the right priorities” done, on time and budget, at high quality levels; ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
Education and Professional Certification
- Baccalaureate degree in Finance, Accounting or related discipline required
- MBA preferred
- This position will be based at MI Corporate Headquarters
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.